Marrakech is a city located in the center-south of the country, about 150 km from the coast of the Atlantic Ocean, has about 1,460,000 inhabitants and is undoubtedly the most famous cities of Morocco. Close enough to the mountains of the High and Middle Atlas, believes that the Marrakesh was founded at the beginning of the Almoravid dynasty, between 1062 and 1070 by Yusuf ibn Tashfin, a prominent military leader who - after winning the North of Morocco - occupied al-Andalus after the defeat of the Christian kings in Spain.
In Marrakech you find the old city, the medina, lies within the walls, to the west of which arose the new town. Jami el-Fna is the square around which develops the old town and could be considered as the vital (and very characteristic) of Marrakech. At the heart of the medina, bordered to the north by the district of the souks and on the east by Qasba, while from the south-west is dominated by the Koutoubia mosque. The appearance of the square changes during the day: in the morning and afternoon is home to a vast open-air market with stalls selling a variety of goods (from fabrics to dates, the orange juice, eggs of ostrich etc. ) and "professionals" dedicated to the kinds of activities: the decoration with henna, the tooth-puller, musicians, snake charmers etc.Verso evening stalls retire and take over banquet tables and benches to eat freshly prepared food and later, coming musicians and storytellers. The mosque Kutubiyya (booksellers) is dominated by the much more striking minaret of the same name: almost seventy meters high, is the oldest minaret (and complete) of the three towers Almohads we have received, along with the Giralda of Seville and the Hassan Tower in Rabat .
Characteristic places are: the souks, Saadian Tombs, El Badi Palace and the Majorelle garden, located in the new town and named by the French artist Jacques Majorelle who chose Marrakech in 1919 as a residence. Here he built a villa in Art Nouveau Its walls were painted a deep blue color which is still called "Majorelle blue." After his death in 1962, the villa and its garden were abandoned until 1980, when it was bought by Yves Saint-Laurent and Pierre Bergé, after a restoration, reopened to the public. Located in Saint-Laurent is a small monument dedicated column in the garden.
Riad Art de vivre
Bab Doukkala, Derb Dekkak 106
|Home Page | Previous Page | Add to favourites | email@example.com|